Sleep Apnea Treatment in Houston, TX
According to research, it is estimated that approximately 26% of adults in the United States suffer from sleep apnea. Some people may confuse it with snoring, but sleep apnea is a more complex issue. It occurs due to the blockage of the upper respiratory tract during sleep, leading to a sudden gasping or choking sensation. Although sleep apnea can cause severe mental and physical distress, fortunately, there are ways to improve the quality of your life. At Perio Health Professionals, we provide sleep apnea treatment in Houston, TX, to prevent airway blockage while sleeping, thus significantly enhancing the quality of your sleep. If you are looking for a qualified sleep apnea doctor in Houston, contact us at (713) 783-5442 or reach out via email to schedule an appointment.
Understanding Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder characterized by repetitive and brief interruptions in your breathing while you sleep, with each interruption lasting around 10 seconds. Though you’re asleep and unaware they’re occurring, you do partially awaken during these episodes.
There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: occurs when your throat muscles relax
- Central Sleep Apnea: happens when your brain doesn’t send the right signals to the muscles that control your breathing
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome: a combination of both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea
What Are The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
Excessive breathing disturbance during sleep and daytime sleepiness are the most prominent symptoms of this condition. Other symptoms include:
- Loud snoring during sleep
- Waking up with a gasp
- Dry mouth upon waking up
- Morning headaches
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Increased irritability
- Mood swings or behavioral changes
If you suffer from a few or more symptoms mentioned above, it is better to consult our dentist for sleep apnea treatment in Houston, TX.
How Is Sleep Apnea Diagnosed?
The diagnosis of sleep apnea cannot be made on the basis of symptoms alone. For an accurate diagnosis, our sleep specialist in Houston may take the following approaches:
- Sleep study: In this case, you will have to spend a night at a sleep apnea clinic in Houston, where a specialist will monitor the breathing pattern, electrical activity, eye movements, and other factors during sleep.
- Home Sleep Test (HST): To attain a proper diagnosis from the comfort of your home, we will set up a machine that evaluates your vitals while you sleep. These will include respiratory rate, blood oxygen level, airflow, etc.
Treatment of Sleep Apnea in Houston, TX
The treatment of mild to moderate sleep apnea begins with lifestyle modifications. These include avoiding alcohol and sedative medications, quitting smoking, and maintaining a healthy routine. For moderate to severe cases, our sleep apnea dentist in Houston will recommend using a dental appliance that prevents airway obstruction during sleep. This custom-fit dental appliance resembles a mouth guard and helps to promote regular airflow.
We may also recommend Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy along with a dental appliance. However, this option is reserved for specific patients as it may have side effects and is less compatible for the long term.
If you or a loved one experiences adverse sleep apnea symptoms, contact our dental experts to learn more about sleep apnea treatment in Houston, TX.