Sleep Apnea Treatment in Houston, TX
Understanding Sleep Apnea
There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: occurs when your throat muscles relax
- Central Sleep Apnea: happens when your brain doesn’t send the right signals to the muscles that control your breathing
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome: a combination of both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea
What Are The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
- Loud snoring during sleep
- Waking up with a gasp
- Dry mouth upon waking up
- Morning headaches
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Increased irritability
- Mood swings or behavioral changes
If you suffer from a few or more symptoms mentioned above, it is better to consult our dentist for sleep apnea treatment in Houston, TX.
How Is Sleep Apnea Diagnosed?
- Sleep study: In this case, you will have to spend a night at a sleep apnea clinic in Houston, where a specialist will monitor the breathing pattern, electrical activity, eye movements, and other factors during sleep.
- Home Sleep Test (HST): To attain a proper diagnosis from the comfort of your home, we will set up a machine that evaluates your vitals while you sleep. These will include respiratory rate, blood oxygen level, airflow, etc.
Treatment of Sleep Apnea in Houston, TX
We may also recommend Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy along with a dental appliance. However, this option is reserved for specific patients as it may have side effects and is less compatible for the long term.
If you or a loved one experiences adverse sleep apnea symptoms, contact our dental experts to learn more about sleep apnea treatment in Houston, TX.